How to fix & what to do If My HP Printer Is in Error State?
Why do you see an error message stating – the HP printer is in an error state prompt?
This error message appears whenever you affix your HP printer to the PC. It might also cause when you try to print from your HP printer. A Windows update or a driver update will state this error message on your PC.
Even an irregular power cable or USB cable connection can cause this error. Try some of the fixes listed below to pinpoint and resolve the error state of your HP printer.
What to do if your HP printer is in an error state?
It is one of the frustrating and hassle HP printer issues to fix. Follow the fixes listed below to resolve the error state in no time.
Fix 1: Check the physical connections from your printer to the PC
It is one of the easy fixes to resolve the HP printer error state. Check if all the physical connections between your printer and the PC are reliable. Check if your PC and the HP printer are active and ready to communicate. Resolve any physical damage to the cables.
At times, restarting your PC and the HP printer will resolve the error state. Shut down your printer and the PC for 30 seconds. Now, switch on your PC and printer to check if all the error states are gone.
Fix 2: Confirm that your HP printer is online:
- You will also have an error state message when your HP printer is offline. Resolve the error state of the HP printer by turning it back online.
- Go to the Start menu and choose the control panel settings on your PC.
- Go to the devices and printers menu and check if your HP printer is on the list.
- If your HP printer is active, you will see the printer status as ready.
- Right-click on your printer and tap on the use my HP printer online menu.
- Now, tap ok to turn your HP printer online and ready to print.
Fix 3: Check whether you have loaded printing sheets into the paper tray:
At times, an empty paper tray will also put your HP printer in an error state. Switch off your printer, reload quality printing sheets, and turn it on. Wait for a few minutes and check if your HP printer is in the ready state. Now, try to print and check if there are no error states on your printer and PC.
Fix 4: Reinstall the printer drivers:
- Remove the outdated drivers and go to the firmware menu.
- Tap on the printer model and go to the support page of an HP website.
- Find a compatible HP printer driver and install the driver using an installer.
- Now, reboot your PC and go to the printer and device icon to choose your printer.
- Remove and reinstall your HP printer to the PC.
- Affix your printer and the PC using an updated HP printer driver.
All the fixes listed above will help you resolve the HP printer problems.